Protecting Your Pets from Natural Disasters
Protect Your Pets and Home from Natural Disasters
Natural disasters affect thousands of people from all regions of the world, including the United States. Certain regions experience several types of disasters, which can paralyze entire communities indefinitely until the recovery process begins. Some of the effects of these types of disasters can be prevented if the people of a region develop disaster preparedness plans and kits for themselves and their families. Community response and readiness teams can help, but they also have hundreds of other people to assist. Therefore, it is important to know what could potentially affect your area to mitigate the damages. Everybody should know how to protect themselves in every situation.
Make a Plan
- Make a Disaster Plan for Your Pets: The Humane Society shares a to-do list for disaster preparedness for your pets.
- Will Your Animal Companions Be Protected in a Disaster?: People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) shares the appropriate steps to take before, during, and after a disaster strikes.
- Disaster Preparedness: The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) shares the appropriate steps for safeguarding pets during times of an emergency.
- Caring for Pets: Ready.gov shares guidelines for taking care of pets before, during, and after an emergency that requires evacuation.
- Saving the Whole Family (PDF): An extensive document that outlines the steps for preparing a plan, including identification, transportation, proof of ownership, and contact information.
- Pet Emergency Plan and Supply Kit (PDF): A disaster preparedness checklist for pet owners.
- Disaster Preparedness: Protecting Your Pet: Prepare for the worst to keep your pets safe for when it actually occurs.
- Disaster Preparation: Before Disaster Strikes: Make a plan before disaster strikes to save your little furry friends.
Prepare a Pet Disaster Supply Kit
- Assemble a Pet Emergency Preparedness Kit: The American Red Cross shares a checklist of items to include in a pet emergency preparedness kit.
- Why Prepare an Emergency Supplies Kit? (PDF): Pet owners should not abandon their pets during times of an emergency. Instead, they should create a plan of action and emergency supplies kit to ensure the safety of their animal friends.
- Disaster Supplies: For Dogs: Red Rover shares an emergency supply kit specifically for dogs, which includes food, water, sanitation products, transportation, housing, and means for identification.
- Be Prepared for Disasters: Emergency Supply Kits: Be sure to pack your emergency supply kits with enough supplies to keep your pet alive for at least one week.
- Emergency Preparedness Guide for You and Your Family (PDF): A comprehensive guide that covers everything from emergency plans to recovery options after a natural disaster.
- Emergency Preparedness: Choose the threat-specific disaster scenario to build a preparedness plan before it happens.
- Natural Disaster Preparedness: Plan and protect yourself against flooding and earthquakes with these simple guidelines.
- Home Guide To Emergency Preparedness (PDF): An extensive guide providing tips and suggestions for protecting yourself before, during, and after a natural disaster.
Protect Your Pet
- What Can I Do to Protect My Horses and Livestock During a Natural Disaster?: Implement a disaster and recovery plan to protect your horses and livestock during and after a natural disaster.
- Natural Disasters and Your Pets: Follow the Humane Society’s suggestions for protecting your pet during a natural disaster.
Animal and Insect Related Hazardsd
- How to Protect Yourself from Animal and Insect-Related Hazards After a Natural Disaster: The aftermath of a natural disaster attracts wild animals and insects that pose serious illness to those who get infected. Protect yourself using the suggestions provided by Medicinenet.
- Natural Disaster Guide: Follow these guidelines to protect yourself against any natural disaster.
- How to Prepare for an Emergency: An all-encompassing preparation guide for individuals who want to protect themselves against unforeseeable emergencies.
- Disaster Preparedness: How to be Ready for the Next Big Storm: Consumer Reports empowers individuals with the right information on preparing themselves for the next big natural disaster.
- Your Family’s Emergency Kit is Probably a Disaster: Watch this video to discover vulnerabilities in your current emergency preparedness plan and kit.
- A Public Health Guide to Safe Disaster Recovery (PDF): An extensive document that shares guidelines for recovery after a natural disaster.
- Evacuation Checklist (PDF): Use this checklist to cover all bases when evacuating by foot or car during a national disaster.