Personal Security and Self Defense Resource Guide
Personal Security and Self Defense Resource Guide
Danger knows no bounds. It lurks around every corner when we least expect it. Nobody wants to deal with a life-threatening situation; however, everybody wants reassurance in knowing that they can defend themselves right down to the wire. Victims can employ self-defense strategies to protect themselves, family members, and their personal property from harm. In some cases, victims can apply deadly force without facing legality issues. Self-defense countermeasures can take on different forms, including armed and unarmed strategies. The armed citizen may carry a pocket knife, firearm, and non-lethal weapons. Many women choose to use small handguns, Taser guns, and pepper spray to take down perpetrators. Others may opt to take a self-defense course that focuses on immobilizing attackers, such as IMPACT, R-A-D, and Model Mugging. More robust martial arts programs exist that can paralyze and even kill predators, such as Krav Maga.
While all of these methods help to protect oneself against physical harm, it is always helps to learn non-confrontational methods to avoid escalating difficult situations. Many people may exercise awareness to avoid potentially dangerous environments and situations. Attackers tend to lurk and choose unsuspecting victims who have no chance of defeating them. Therefore, it makes sense to think like an attacker to avoid running into one. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to avoid certain situations. The majority of attackers know their victims, which means they probably know their favorite places to go. If a victim understands the principles of de-escalating confrontations, then they can manage to calm down an attacker before they strike. If none of this works, then it helps to own a personal alarm to alert a passerby of the surrounding danger. This may deter and chase away assailants before they severely hurt their victims.
Follow these links to learn more about self-defense tips, strategies, programs, and associated laws:
- Model Mugging: Self Defense Videos: Model Mugging boasts itself for training women in self-defense and personal safety.
- IMPACT Self-Defense: A personal safety and self-defense course that empowers students with the ability to assert and protect themselves from perpetrators.
- Arming Women Against Rape and Endangerment (AWARE): Self-Defense FAQs: A compilation of frequently asked questions (FAQs) about arming women with self-defense techniques and pointers against rapists and others who intend to do them harm.
- Kids Health: Self-Defense: A kid-friendly article that stresses the importance of learning self-defense against bullies and child predators.
- Contemporary Fighting Arts: Self-Defense Facts You Should Know: Sammy Franco, founder and president of Contemporary Fighting Arts, explains the necessity for knowing how to defend oneself against armed and unarmed attackers.
- Are There Limits to Self-Defense?: The Beijing Review addresses the heated debate over limitation surrounding self-defense.
- Via Potentia: Modern Self-Defense Training (PDF): A 300-page self-defense training guide that equips the student with self-defense strategies, physical conditioning recommendations, first aid information, conventional weapons tips, gun safety, and traditional ethics behind self-defense and personal safety.
- Peace Over Violence: A pro-woman's organization that empowers victims of domestic violence, stalking, and child abuse from abusive partners. It provides one-on-one counseling and self-defense classes for those victims who seek it.
- R.A.D Systems of Self Defense: A self-defense program offered to women, children, men, and seniors who need to empower themselves against unsuspecting attacks.
- National Women's Martial Arts Federation: An organization that provides competent instruction on how to protect oneself against violent attacks.
- Krav Maga Worldwide: The official site for those interested in taking Krav Maga classes for self-defense.
- De-Escalation: The Best Way to Avoid Violence (PDF): An extended document that explains ways to de-escalate situations that may explode into a violent confrontation.
- Speak-Up! Basic Verbal Self-Defense Guidelines (PDF): A basic checklist that helps victims find alternative ways to avoid escalating a confrontation into a violent situation.
- HowStuffWorks: How Verbal Self-Defense Works: HowStuffWorks explains various ways to verbally defend oneself without provoking somebody to violence.
- Self Defense Law and the Martial Artist: An article that addresses the legal aspect of self-defense by applying deadly force.
- S.A.F.E Program: The National Self-Defense Institute provides the S.A.F.E. Program to help equip and empower people against violent attackers.
- KidPower: Self-Defense for Men: An article that provides tips for men who wish to avoid, de-escalate, and escape violent confrontation.
- About Self-Protection: The University of Houston provides self-defense strategies and self-protection suggestions for common targets of sexual predators.
- The Department of Defense: Handgun Victimization, Firearm Self-Defense, and Firearm Theft: The United States Department of Defense provides statistics of criminal acts involving hand guns, crimes thwarted by armed citizens, and firearm theft.
- U.S. Army: Hand-to-Hand Combat Training (PDF): The official hand-to-hand combat training manual for members of the United States Army.