ADT Monitored Smart Plugs & Smart Outlets
- Turn off and on from your ADT Control® app
- Set routines for lights on, lights out, and dimmers
- Save energy with scheduled routines
What Is a Smart Plug and What Does It Do?
Like a power strip, smart plugs plug into wall outlets and control the flow of power to other devices. But they go one step further—they connect to your home internet network so you can manage your plugged-in devices remotely.
Most people use smart plugs to control lamps and small appliances in their home. With control from virtually anywhere, you can easily save power by turning off lights you forgot about—or leave them on so sketchy opportunists think you’re cozied up at home when you’re actually working late.
Smart Plugs Integrate with ADT Command
When you choose a SafeStreets smart plug, it integrates with your entire ADT smart security system via the platform ADT Command. Formerly called ADT Pulse, ADT Command lets you control your connected security and home automation devices via the Command Panel or the ADT Control mobile app. With centralized control, you can make convenient choices like these:
- Turn lights on if you see a suspicious figure on an outdoor or indoor camera
- Program your lights to turn on before you get home.
- Control space heaters or other fire-hazard devices remotely, just in case.
How Do Smart Plugs Work?
The smartest use Z-Wave technology
In addition to controlling the flow of electricity from wall outlets, smart plugs use wireless internet technology to connect to your ADT-monitored system. Some smart plugs use Wi-Fi only, but Z-Wave smart plugs from ADT Authorized Provider SafeStreets make home automation more powerful and flexible:
- Z-Wave signals pass easily through walls and other barriers.
- Every device acts as a signal extender.
- Higher frequency than Wi-Fi means less crowding and signal interference.
- Smart plugs are highly energy efficient.
- Can be controlled remotely, unlike wireless Bluetooth pairing.
Dual-direction connectivity enables better communication with devices, ensuring that your plugs operate reliably in the home.
Installers are available to get your smart plugs and outlets set up for your convenience—you won’t have to worry about a thing.
Set recurring events for lights to turn on and off (or dim) at specific times of day for energy savings.
SafeStreets Smart Plug Specs
3.5 x 2.4 x 2.2 inches
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some examples of smart plug uses?
Smart plugs work best with plug-in lights with bulbs including, but not limited to, LED, CFL, halogen, and incandescent.
Smart plugs can also support small appliances like fans, hair styling tools, or even small air conditioners. Virtually any plug-in device works if it (a) won’t overload the circuit (about 1,500 watts max) while in use and (b) doesn’t need presets to function well, since shutting off power resets those (think alarm clocks).
Does SafeStreets offer an outdoor smart plug?
No, SafeStreets smart plugs are made for indoor use only. To use a smart plug outdoors, you need one made with water- and dustproofing.
How do I set up my smart plug?
First, insert your smart plug into an outlet. Then plug your lamp or small appliance into your smart plug. To sync the plug with your phone, open the ADT Control app, hit “Add Device,” and follow the prompts.
If you don’t want to set up your smart plug yourself, one of our technicians can do it during installation.
How do I connect my smart plug to Amazon® Alexa?
- Use your Amazon credentials to activate Alexa on your ADT Command panel. It’s built right in.
- Add ADT smart plug skills to your Amazon account.
- Add your smart plug via your MyADT dashboard.